In honor of the great humanitarian, philanthropist, and purveyor of feminine sophistication, Oscar de la Renta.
“I always think the best way to dress is when the person notices you first and the dress after” – Oscar de la Renta
Because Lemonzest and Pearls love fashion and fashion is created by designers, I would like to make a habit of taking the time every couple of posts to highlight some awesome designers. And today that designer is none other than the very fabulous Oscar de la Renta!
Originally set of pursuing a career in painting, fate mercifully intervened and guided a young Oscar Aristides de la Renta Fiallo to the world of fashion design and haute couture. To say he is a great designer is not enough; he is the greatest designer in his field and a master of perfecting the shape of women’s wear. His work experience with numerous other extremely talent designers has given him not only an understanding for the business of fashion, but also has allowed a confidence in his work that seems to transcend and unify all his collections (by this I mean that one can compare two different collections and acknowledge that they were made by one designer). He is consistent in making the female form look exquisite in almost any shape or fabric, and his diverse talent continues to remain unchallenged (in my humble opinion) in regards to creativity and simple romantic taste. His designs have proved presidentially appropriate as he has dressed numerous first ladies such as Nancy Reagan, Hilary Clinton and Laura Bush (though maybe his most famous is Jacqueline Kennedy). With a name that has been on everything from perfumes to Barbie dolls to fine china, Oscar de la Renta is a powerhouse designer whose haute couture gowns, opulent eveningwear and lavish outerwear have and will remain at the top of the list for women of all ages for years to come.
- Born: July 22 1932
- Hometown: Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Education: Academy of San Fernando, Madrid; National School of Art, Santo Domingo
- Started in the fashion industry in 1949; created his namesake line in 1967
- CFDA Designer of the year 2000
- Known for designing ready-to-wear that is feminine, luxurious and romantic
- He apprenticed under the designer great Cristobel Balenciaga, moving on to work with Lanvin and then later with Elizabeth Arden
What you might not know about him
- He was the first Dominican designer to create collections for the French couture house of Pierre Balmain (1993).
- He launched a plus sized line called Oscar in 1999
- He’s an avid gardener
- He has an adopted son from his home country of the Dominican Republic
- He built a school and day care center for children in the Dominican Republic.
- He has his own furniture collection (launched 2002)
If you have never looked at any of Oscar’s designs, I encourage you to check out his latest collection from his homepage at www.oscardelarenta.com. You won’t be disappointed and you might just fall in love!